[TUHS] Early Clones / Rewrites for TUHS archives

Kurt H Maier khm at sciops.net
Tue Dec 19 03:08:00 AEST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 09:10:55PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> One thing I haven't seen mentioned is QNX - I didn't directly use it but a
> colleague was using it in the mid-1980s on PC-AT class hardware.  ISTR one
> of my colleague's whinges was the 256-byte command-line limit.

Blackberry's phones are no longer QNX-based (they fell to the advancing
Android hordes) but they still own it and are targeting the IVI market
with it, apparently.  They have a no-commercial-use no-cost license
available.

The first QNX device I saw in the wild was the 3com Audrey, which was a
little all-in-one computer with an infrared keyboard and a resistive
touchscreen.  3com seemed to want to sell them for kitchen use, but then
the dot-com bust happened and the Audrey went with it.  The QNX
deployment on it was sufficiently unixlike that step one in doing
anything interesting was exploiting a privilege escalation and editing
the passwd file.

khm