[TUHS] SYSTEM V R1 HELP

William Corcoran wlc at jctaylor.com
Fri Dec 22 10:34:26 AEST 2017

Hello Clem,

Well, I have some interesting results.

First, your comments about fprintf made me think about turning off the output.   So:

cd /
find . -print | cpio -ocB > /dev/null

Works perfectly, the return code is a nice clean 0—No more core dump!

However, when I enable the verbose option to cpio, it dumps core.

Next, it dumps core using your example below.  However, if I remove the verbose option, cpio completes without error!!!

Next, I got a super weird result when I try to print the error code:

find .  -print | cpio -ocvB > /dev/null

      files are displayed….
      Memory Fault: core dumped

echo $?

1003

Now, I thought all return values were 8 bit?    What is that all about?

I just wanted to pass along the update.  I will see if I can follow the string pointers in fprintf.

Truly,

Bill Corcoran