[TUHS] shared memory on Unix

Marc Rochkind rochkind at basepath.com
Thu Feb 2 03:39:23 AEST 2017

The so-called Columbus shared memory feature was in their system in the
mid-1970s, along with a few other things such as semaphores and
inter-process messages. I seem to recall the acronym MAUG, but I may have a
letter or two wrong. Something like Multi Access User ____. The much later
System V features had a completely different API.

Hey, Doug, do you remember this? In the early 1970s, there were a couple of
UNIX meetings at Murray Hill, at which various Bell Labs groups presented
on what they were doing with UNIX, and a group, perhaps Columbus, said that
UNIX wasn't capable of doing what they wanted, so they had modified it. You
asked the question, "Why are you using UNIX?"

To my knowledge, having witnessed another decade or so of groups trying to
bend UNIX to their will, it was the last time the question was asked.

--Marc