[TUHS] shared memory on Unix

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Thu Feb 2 05:11:35 AEST 2017

I can't speak for the dates, but Ken did a hack to the OS to interface
with his Chess machine.  Recall that all the I/O on the PDP-11 was
memory mapped, so as I recall he simply mapped a piece of kernel
memory into user space.  Was never privvy to the details.

I do remember a conversation with Dennis about semaphores, though.
He mentioned that no less than five groups inside of Bell Labs had
hacked semaphores into the kernel.  Each group did it differently.
He thought they were all a bad idea -- his argument was, "what do you
do if a process sets a semaphore and then dies?  It's pretty clear
that either releasing the semaphore or leaving it set would be
catastrophic in some cases."

(Of course there were other similar problems, such as a process
closing its files and dying, and then the kernel discovering that the
disc was full.   Luckily, these days, the disc rarely gets full...)

Also, a comment from my own experience with AT&T marketing.  When I
was responsible for the System V languages in Summit, I was told that
a marketing group was staffed and that there was a person in charge of
marketing the language products (at the time, C, Cfront (becoming
C++), Fortran, Pascal, and Ada).  I set up a monthly meeting with
this person.  The meetings went on for over a year, but _I NEVER MET
WITH THE SAME PERSON TWICE!_   It seemed that the only thing the
marketing group knew how to do was reorganize the marketing group...

At the time, a lot of people buying VAXes were running VMS because its
FORTRAN was far better than UNIX F77 -- in particular, it had an
optimizer.  I started a project to build an optimizer for FORTRAN,
and staffed it with several very good people.  Every six weeks there
would be an attempt to kill the project.  Each time I'd repeat the
argument for doing it, and it would be saved.  We almost started to
put these attempts to kill it on the calendar.  At no time did I get
any feedback, positive or negative, from AT&T marketing.   When I
left AT&T in early 1986, the optimizer, by now almost complete, was
immediately killed again.    I was later told by one of my former
team members that it was revived several months later and finally made
it out.  And that the next year it was the best-selling add-on to
System V.

Steve