[TUHS] Names of famous, historical UNIX machines?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Feb 2 07:20:40 AEST 2017

    > From: Clem Cole

    > don't expect a lot of wild and crazy names

Yeah, those arrived when places started to get lots of identical machines,
and needed a theme to name them. So I remember MIT-LCS had VAX 750's called
Tide, Borax, etc (cleaners); MIT-AI had Suns called Grape-Nuts, Wheaties, etc
(cereals).

I know other places had similar name sets, but I can't recall the themes of
any of them - although looking at an old HOSTS.TXT, I see CMU had systems
called Faraday, Gauss, etc, while Purdue had Fermat, Newton, etc; U-Texas had
Disney characters, BBN had fish, U-Washington had South Pacific islands - the
list just goes on and on.

Google for a old Host file, that's a good source if you want to know more.

	Noel