[TUHS] shared memory on Unix

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Thu Feb 2 09:11:02 AEST 2017

Many thanks to all for that helpful info!

OK, so my vague recollection was more correct than my quick code
inspection...

With CB3 I meant CB Unix 3.0. I had a look at the "pdp11v" code
in the Unix Tree archive and it has a system call "maus". Its implementation
is here:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=pdp11v/usr/src/uts/pdp11/os/maus.c

There is also a CB Unix 2.1 manual and source code listing in the archive.
The manual page for maus says it stands for "multiple access user space"
(http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/other/CB_Unix/cbunix_man2_02.pdf)
At first glance 'maus' looks a bit like mmap.

I did not find a print of the maus implementation yet in the source print, but
I haven't exaustively searched yet (it is mentioned in the index, so it
probably is there somewhere).

In any case, the man page for maus is from November 1979, so it goes back at
least as far as that. When was CB Unix 1.0 put together?

--

It will be interesting to see how the BBN and CB approaches compare.

Noel wrote: "Yes, there are two module in 'ken', map_page.c and set_lcba.c
(I was unable to work out what 'LCBA' stood for) which seem to do something with
mapping."

How about "Local Common Block Access"? :^)

Paul