[TUHS] How Unix brings people together, or it's a small world

Doug McIlroy doug at cs.dartmouth.edu
Fri Feb 3 14:04:44 AEST 2017

As a tourist in Christchurch NZ in 1982, I saw a notice of a student piano
recital at the university. Free, why not? The fellow who sat next to me turned
out to be a phyicist. On learning that I was a computer scientist, he proudly
described his wonderful new computer and operating system--the first of its
kind in the university, if I remember correctly. I let on that I was familiar
with it, so we both left the recital with a small-world story to tell.

Doug