[TUHS] Happy birthday, Ken Thompson!

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sat Feb 4 23:15:43 AEST 2017

On 4 Feb 2017 07:44 -0500, from usotsuki at buric.co (Steve Nickolas):
> Bit hackish how they emulated piping,

Well, I suppose there's only so much you can really do in an
inherently single-tasking OS that needs to be able to do useful work
on a system with a single 160 KB floppy drive, no virtual memory
capability, and 64 KiB RAM.

All things told, I regularly look back at what people were able to
make computers of days yonder _do_, and am often amazed at how well
they were able to get things to work _in spite of_ the limitations of
the hardware of the time.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se