[TUHS] How Unix brings people together, or it's a small

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Wed Feb 8 09:38:40 AEST 2017

Looking back, the social dynamics of the Unix group helped a lot in
keeping the bloat small.   The rule was, whoever touches something
last becomes its owner.  Of course, we were all free to complain
about things, and did, but the amalgamation of tinkerings that
characterizes most of the Linux commands just didn't happen.  At
times this hot-potato activity worked very well.  In a moment of
inspiration I thought up the syntax for the 'at' command  (  "at 3am
cc -o *.c", etc. ).  I implemented it as a shell script and it was
pretty feeble.  My implementation lasted about a week -- I came in on
a Monday and Dennis had plugged the majority of the holes -- got the
permissions right, saved the search path and current directory, etc.
I think we were both happy with the process...

I think the other thing we understood was that if you added an on/off
option to your application you had a choice of either doing twice as
much testing as previously, or testing both configurations of the code
half as much.   If you look at the gcc manual, you can see the
result -- many dozen pages just listing the options.  It's probably
up around the age of the universe now to reliably test the whole
thing.   And it seems like if you set the options differently than
usual, thing break, can't be debugged reliably, or something else
surprising.  One rule with Linux: do it vanilla or go home...

Steve