[TUHS] Code bloat (was: How Unix brings people together, or it'sa small...)

jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com jsteve at superglobalmegacorp.com
Wed Feb 8 21:59:09 AEST 2017

I love SLiRP, it’s insanely easy to integrate into other programs/emulators to get that fun TCP/IP networking with no device drivers... I’ve put it into all kinds of fun things.

My latest one was integrating with a cisco router via IPIP tunnelling.  Just slap on a MAC frame from the encapsulated packet, and feed it into SLiRP, and likewise, strip the MAC frame, and feed it back to IPIP.  Where I live I get throttled across international links all the time, SSH/PPTP/IPSEC/OpenVPN all seem to be detected and throttled down to 64kb/sec or less which is really disappointing, meanwhile I can pull files via HTTP for a good 10Mb/sec.  So eventually Im going to try to mix it in with .net remoting so I can host SLiRP on Windows/IIS and have a Windows machine on my LAN grab the IPIP tunnel from my cisco and send it off via HTTP...  That way the packet inspectors see proper HTTP traffic.. Then add in some compression and encryption and I’ve made yet another VPN, although one that’ll interface a router to SLiRP.

But I’ve plugged it into SIMH, although they use a much more involved, and newer one now, PCem, Previous, Basilisk II, and I got the ball rolling on WinUAE.  I may have left a few off, but yes, it’s an incredibly versatile library.