[TUHS] Code bloat (was: How Unix brings people together, or it's a small...)

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Wed Feb 8 23:56:21 AEST 2017

Nick,

If you want to work with LSX, you might have a look at the LSX port I did for the TI990 mini computer: http://1587660.websites.xs4all.nl/cgi-bin/9995/dir?ci=1c38b1fc8792c80b&name=lsx
It is a further development from the work that was done for BKUNIX by Leonid Broukhis (https://sourceforge.net/p/bkunix/code/HEAD/tree/).

You get stuff converted to a dialect of C acceptable by modern compilers, and some kludges like using 'char*' for 'unsigned' and 'int a[2]' for 'long a' are cleaned up.

The repository also has a V6 kernel with similar clean up and some V7 compatibility ('lseek' instead of 'seek', etc.). My next step would be to move to a V7 kernel and add TCP/IP capability. This is how I got interested in the history of sockets and TCP/IP. I have found that the BSD stack (as found in e.g. ULTRIX-11) will not fit in 64KB (note: just the network stack). The BBN stack appears to fit in 56KB, with 15KB of buffers available; I think it could be integrated with a V7 kernel as a second kernel process.

Paul