[TUHS] Code bloat

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Feb 9 02:25:30 AEST 2017

Jacob Goense <dugo at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> FreeBSD claiming to be 4.4BSD-Lite based is, I think, a legal fiction.
> I could be wrong, but it is far more likely they did it the same way
> as NetBSD after the FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 release. I don't believe they
> restarted with a clean 4.4BSD-Lite tape, but the FreeBSD handbook
> claims that is what they did for the 2.0 release.

The history is slightly harder to see now than it used to be.

When FreeBSD was developed in CVS, the repository only went back to the
4.4BSD import, basically around what is now
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/8b2b31265d61a703f6043fef964fcf90bec23fcd

The FreeBSD 1.x changes were re-imported on top of 4.4BSD, instead of
4.4BSD being incorporated into the previous repo (which is what NetBSD
did).

The previous CVS repo from the 386BSD+patchkit days was hidden away
because of old copyright worries, though some time after 2000 it became
available to most committers. (I have a copy in my home directory on
freefall.freebsd.org which I stashed away in 2007 because at that time I
think there still wasn't a conveniently accessible copy.)

It looks like after the uplift to SVN the two repositories were combined,
so you can now see the 386BSD import at
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/f131f027b47937d651804c243cde86ec0bf87e67

Tony.
Lundy, Fastnet, Irish Sea: Variable 3 or 4 at first in Lundy and Irish Sea,
otherwise south or southeast 5 or 6, occasionally 7 later. Moderate or rough,
occasionally very rough. Mainly fair. Good.