[TUHS] // comment in C++

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Feb 9 08:45:56 AEST 2017

On Wednesday,  8 February 2017 at 18:06:53 +0000, ron minnich wrote:
> I've always wondered if this was done in honor of JCL, as sort of a riff on
> the dd command. Anyone know?

// had a very different meaning in IBM JCL.  It's a sequence
indicating that a command follows, and I have a suspicion that it's
related to a prompt.  In JCL (on punched cards) you had to punch it
with the rest, but interactive programs printed it for you, usually a
single character.  UNIVAC OS/1100 used @, and OMEGA used #, for
example.

Does anybody else have input?

Greg