[TUHS] // comment in C++

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Thu Feb 9 09:22:13 AEST 2017

On Wednesday,  8 February 2017 at 17:50:57 -0500, Ron Natalie wrote:
> Amusingly in the UNIVAC FIELDDATA character set.   The @ had the value zero
> (and was called the master space).
> It's sort of like making NUL the command character :)

Well, except that there were no non-printing characters in Fieldata.

> Amusingly UNIVAC had their own punched card format (same size card,
> which was by the way, the size of a dollar bill in Hollerith's day)
> but used two banks of 45 round holes for 90 columns.

Yes, I heard of them, but they didn't seem to be a commercial success.
I worked with UNIVAC kit from 1973 to 1977, on the 1108/1106 and the
494, but I never saw any card like that.  They also had a very nice
card punch, the VIP, that buffered a card content and only punched
when you released the card, thus enabling erasures.  But it used
standard IBM format cards.

> -Ron "I had a cat named @FURPUR" Natalie

:-)

Greg