[TUHS] // comment in C++

Brantley Coile brantleycoile at me.com
Thu Feb 9 22:18:20 AEST 2017

That’s a good convention. I use the convention that the permanent comments use the slash-splat form and the slash-slash from is used for temporary comment that will need attention later. They are TODO comments.

I also use empty comments in the first column to note debugging stuff to remove laters. For example:

void
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
	ARGBEGIN {
	default:
		usage();
	} ARGEND
/**/	print(“argc=%d argv=%p\n”, argc, argv);
/**/	if (argc == 3)
/**/		print(“that funny number again\n”);
	if (argc == 0) {
		usestdin();
	…
}

This lets the flow of the test logic clear yet is easy to find and remove the code later.

I also use “#ifdef notdef” to comment out blocks of code. Have done since v7 days. Once I worked with a guy who saw the ifdefs and wondered what the function was that was def’ed out. He added -Dnotdef and all hell broke out!

  Brantley