[TUHS] Code bloat

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Fri Feb 10 01:30:35 AEST 2017

Jacob Goense <dugo at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 2017-02-08 17:25, Tony Finch wrote:
> > The previous CVS repo from the 386BSD+patchkit days was hidden away
> > because of old copyright worries, though some time after 2000 it became
> > available to most committers. (I have a copy in my home directory on
> > freefall.freebsd.org which I stashed away in 2007 because at that time I
> > think there still wasn't a conveniently accessible copy.)
>
> Does that have eg. sys/kern/tty.c in it? Or is also missing piles of files?

Yes, rev 1.1 has a comment in the header

 * PATCHES MAGIC                LEVEL   PATCH THAT GOT US HERE
 * --------------------         -----   ----------------------
 * CURRENT PATCH LEVEL:         3       00163
 * --------------------         -----   ----------------------
 *
 * 11 Dec 92    Williams Jolitz         Fixed tty handling
 * 28 Nov 1991  Warren Toomey           Cleaned up the use of COMPAT_43
 *                                      in the 386BSD kernel.
 * 27 May 93    Bruce Evans             Sign Ext fix for TIOCSTI from the net
 *                                      Kludge to hook in RTS/CTS flow control
 *                                      Avoid sleeping on lbolt, it slows down
 *                                      output unnecessarily.

> > It looks like after the uplift to SVN the two repositories were combined,
> > so you can now see the 386BSD import at
> > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/commit/f131f027b47937d651804c243cde86ec0bf87e67
>
> Not without being butchered first. A lot of essential source files are missing
> from the start until they magically appear in the 4.4BSD-Lite upload.

Ah, I see you are right :-/ The early commits are not very easy to dig
through because of a combination of broken-up commits and source control
conversion artefacts, and SVN being incredibly slow.

Tony.
Sole: Southeast 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 at first, backing east
5 or 6 later. Very rough or high. Occasional rain. Good, occasionally
moderate.