[TUHS] Code bloat

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 02:58:31 AEST 2017

Larry McVoy wrote:
>> The best one seems to have been the 3Com stack, which puts IP in the
>> kernel and TCP in a daemon. By the way, this implementation is also
>> where SLIP seems to have originated.
> As much as I love all the nostalgia, and as cool as SLIP was, if I never
> have to experience the pain of trying to run TCP/IP over a modem again,
> I'll be happy.  For me, SLIP was just not worth it.  Too much overhead
> when bandwidth was too precious.  A dial up terminal emulator was a
> better answer in my experience.
>
> Don't get me wrong, SLIP was cool.   Modems were slow.
Back in the day when slip was just starting to get traction (and before PPP)
I was happy with a dial-up connection to read news and work remotely
and a 9600 baud telebit for UUCP file transfer to home for work that
could be sent home and done off-line.

Bill

--

Digital had it then.  Don't you wish you could buy it now!
pechter-at-gmail.com  http://xkcd.com/705/