[TUHS] Another odd comment in V6

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:46:14 AEST 2017

Yes, you are right, I had not paid attention to that pc=opc stuff, in
fact 2.9 has a comment saying it's backing the PC up but the other
BSDs do not, so I hadn't noticed that bit. :) I was probably thinking
of another unix that implements it in the C library not the kernel,
however it makes no difference conceptually. Interestingly, 2.11BSD
has ERESTART defined as an errno and does the pc=opc thing if ERESTART
was to have been returned as the errno. Whereas the other BSDs have
another variable eosys which has just a few possible values, where one
of those values (NORMALRETURN or some such) means that errno should be
checked as well. I like the 2.11BSD way. V7 does not have the pc=opc
thing and there is no mention of restarting, so I suppose EINTR just
aborts the interrupted system call.
cheers, Nick