[TUHS] Mach for i386 / Mt Xinu or other

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:29:15 AEST 2017

This is all very interesting, and I take it the source is available? I saw here:
http://shiftleft.com/mirrors/ifctfvax.harhan.org/pub/UNIX/thirdparty/Ultrix-32/
The Ultrix sources are available, also SunOS, not sure if these are a
"legally open sourced" copies, but in theory HP (Digital) and Oracle
(Sun) and others would now be allowed to open-source ancient versions
given that Caldera have opened up the code it was based on.

So I wonder if OSF/1 is now in the same boat? I'm not as interested in
comparing ancient VM or messaging architectures, I honestly feel like
the microkernel concept, at least as expressed in Mach, has been
pretty thoroughly debunked, exokernels or tiny hypervisors might be
more the go these days. But when you said "compiler" and "walls" my
ears pricked up. I'm partway through re-engineering the ancient
Ritchie compiler to be able to do a few new tricks, such as
automatically outputting ANSI compileable code. Unfortunately this
would occur after the C preprocessor step, I don't have plans to
back-annotate the original source code. But I have plans to make the
entire system as painless as possible. I already have modified "cc"
and "ld" to do some rather interesting stuff retaining Makefile
compatibility.

cheers, Nick