[TUHS] Mach for i386 / Mt Xinu or other

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Feb 21 08:24:57 AEST 2017

Oh brother.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 07:14:44PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > Linus had the qualities of being a good programmer, a good architect,
> > and a good manager.  I've never seen all 3 in a person before or since.
>
> My memory is different. He claims that his intention is to keep
> kernel/userspace interfaces stable, but given the fact that this did never
> happen, I tend to believe that he lacks the understanding on what all is part
> of the kernel/userspace interface.

So you're taking on the guy who won the Unix wars, has stayed in charge for
a couple of decades, created the OS that runs on 498 of 500 super computers,
the OS that runs on more phones than apple's phones, tablets, and computers
combined?

I've worked with Linus, I know him pretty well.  I stand by my description
above and nothing you've said has changed (and isn't likely to).

As for interfaces, huh.  I've got two decades of supporting a commercial
product that uses file system, networking, VM interfaces and I can't
remember a time were we had to change something because Linux broke
an API.