[TUHS] Mach for i386 / Mt Xinu or other

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Feb 21 20:30:34 AEST 2017

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> I've worked with Linus, I know him pretty well.  I stand by my description
> above and nothing you've said has changed (and isn't likely to).

I know him as well, he send various personal attacks against me....when I tried
to discuss Linux kernel bugs on LKML or made proposals on how problems could
be fixed - e.g. the Linux kernel include files that are needed for various user
space programs but these include files did not compile with user space
programs.

He told me that what I proposed was nonsense, but 5 years later, they
implemented my proposal.

As Linux personally and incorrectly claimed that I was talking about kernel
internal interfaces even though I was definitely talking about
kernel/userspace interfaces, I assume that he has a problem with understanding
what an external interface is.

> As for interfaces, huh.  I've got two decades of supporting a commercial
> product that uses file system, networking, VM interfaces and I can't
> remember a time were we had to change something because Linux broke
> an API.

You may have had luck.

You also may have used only those interfaces that are not Linux specific but
rather UNIX interfaces that cannot be changed without protest from thousands of
people. Let me assume that you are talking about BitKeeper SCCS, then it is
obvious that you do not need to use Linux specific interfaces in your software.

You may have started with Linux later than I did - I started in 1996.

My software implements support for many Linux specific interfaces (*) and I
have been a victim of incompatible interface changes many times.

Fortunately, I have no longer been hit since 5 years.

*) star e.g. implements support for Linux specific file meta data and
   cdrtools e.g need to implement pass through SCSI.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin