[TUHS] Mach for i386 / Mt Xinu or other

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Feb 22 14:11:37 AEST 2017

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 08:06:29PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> The open source BSD stuff was a train wreck from the very beginning.
> Nobody could get along with Jolitz, so NetBSD started, then Theo wanted
> to be in charge of something so OpenBSD was born.  I can't remember how
> FreeBSD got spun out, but what I do remember is that there were power
> struggles from day 1.

Oh, and I forgot, then there was the BSDi group.  While we all loved
those guys, they left a sour taste.  There was some bad blood between
them and Jolitz (he unfairly got the short end of that stick).  And
as Clem says, we all wanted a free or really really cheap Unix and
these guys wanted $995 for a release.  I think a lot of us felt like
they sort of betrayed the ethos of Unix, we wanted free like it was
when you got a tape from dmr (no, I never got one, just got to hear
the stories and they sounded great).

The whole BSD thing in the early 90's was a train wreck.  In my opinion.