[TUHS] Why Linux not another PC/UNIX [was Mach for i386 ...]

Michael Kerpan madcrow.maxwell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 07:00:51 AEST 2017

Personal anecdote time. I'm probably a bit younger than most of the folks
here and my first exposure to computers came when my father bought a shiny
new Northgate 486 in 1990. He'd been talking about getting a computer for a
few years and had been researching getting some sort of Unix, but even it
was all too expensive even for someone who could buy a 486 in 1990. By the
time I got interested in Unix-y systems (partly by reading a copy of _Life
With Unix_ that my dad had bought back before we go our first computer),
Linux was the cheapest game in town: free on CDs from the back of books in
the public library.

Mike