[TUHS] The size of EMACS, and what hides in kLOCs

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 02:05:19 AEST 2017

On 26 February 2017 at 07:46, Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se> wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2017 07:39 -0500, from jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu (Noel Chiappa):
>> I was never happy with the size of EMACS, and it had nothing to do with the
>> amount of memory resources used. That big a binary implies a very large amount
>> of source, and the more lines of code, the more places for bugs...
>
> But remember; without Emacs, we might never have had _The Cuckoo's
> Egg_. Imagine the terror of that loss.

Hhhmmm.... I must dig my copy out of storage because I do not remember
emacs in there.

As for emac uses, my wife was on (non-CS) staff at a local college
affiliated with U of T.  At the time, DOS boxes sat on staff desks and
email was via a telnet connection to an SGI box somewhere on campus.
A BATch file connected and ran pine but shelled out to an external
editor.  What was the editor?  Well, I saw her composing a message
once and ending the editor session by ^X^C.

N.