[TUHS] Un-released/internal/special UNIX versions/ports during the years?

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Mon Feb 27 02:30:01 AEST 2017

> Slightly more on-topic, it seems to me really interesting that both the
LispM & Unix environments really aim at providing comfortable places for
programmers to work in, and specifically for the people writing the OS to
work in (as opposed to some other OSs which clearly were more aimed at
production applications) but they did it in such enormously different ways.

Isn't that what Programmer's WorkBench was alp about.   We had picked up
random stuff out of PWB (notably the shell) at JHU, but didn't really use
the PWB aspects of it.   My first job after college (intermixed with writing
some design documents for the database system I was supposed to be working
on ) was helping the QA department setup the procedures to use PWB (SCCS and
various other things) to implement the software engineering environment.
While PWB was sort of targeted on RJE submittal to IBM mainframes, we were
using it to control the software development for a RSX-11M based
intelligience system.