[TUHS] Un-released/internal/special UNIX versions/ports during the years?

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Mon Feb 27 04:32:46 AEST 2017

"Ron Natalie" <ron at ronnatalie.com> writes:
> > I'd have to check the chronology but I'm fairly sure that EINE
> > predates Gosling Emacs by several years: I'd assume that either EINE
> > is where Gosling got the idea, or that it was just obvious, since
> > Emacs came from an environment where implementing things in Lisp was
> > not a strange idea, to put it rather mildly.
> Tim is right.   EINE predates Gosling's EMACS by a few years.   Of course,
> it uses LISP as an extension language not because they thought that would be
> novel but since the whole thing was implemented in LISP to begin with (much
> as you could extend the TECO EMACS with more TECO).

RMS credits Multics Emacs with the idea to use Lisp as the extension
language:

    The language that you build your extensions on shouldn't be thought
    of as a programming language in afterthought; it should be designed
    as a programming language. In fact, we discovered that the best
    programming language for that purpose was Lisp.

    It was Bernie Greenberg, who discovered that it was. He wrote a
    version of Emacs in Multics MacLisp, and he wrote his commands in
    MacLisp in a straightforward fashion. The editor itself was written
    entirely in Lisp. Multics Emacs proved to be a success great
    programming new editing commands was so convenient that even the
    secretaries in his office started learning how to use it.

https://www.gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.html