[TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0

Corey Lindsly corey at lod.com
Tue Feb 28 02:49:45 AEST 2017

> Count me in. I put my hand up for a copy of SCO when they were offering free
> samplers in the early 2000s, but never heard back from them.
>
> I wanted to compare it with Linux ...
>
> Thanks
>
> Wesley Parish

For anyone interested, the SCO 2.1 images are available for download here:

http://lod.com/sco

A few things:

1. I am having some difficulty getting it to install in VMWare ESXi 5. The
floppy image boots, and I get some way into the install process, but SCO
install does not see the virtual CD-ROM drive. Thus, I'm presented with
network install options only. At this point, there are a few options:

(a) Track down the driver and/or VMWare settings to fix the CD-ROM
visibility, and proceed with the install.

(b) Set up a SCO network install server, and proceed.

(c) Try the install on legacy physical hardware instead.

Of course, your experience may differ.

2. There's actually an installation guide available for this OS here:

ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/upd211/eng211.txt

As well as a lot of driver updates and other good stuff:

ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/

3. Anyone who wants to try SCO for the first time may find 5.0.7 a much
easier go. It will install directly from CD in VMWare, and there is more
driver support for it. To me, it has a very "pure" UNIX feel to it,
other than the gratuitous and absurd use of symbolic links all over the
file system. If you're interested in trying-out that version, let me know
and I'll put up those images for download too.

Regards,

--corey