[TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Feb 28 05:59:01 AEST 2017

I've been trying this myself today, both on ESXi 6.0U2, and I went and
installed ESXi 5.0 as a guest under 6.0U2 :)

I notice that when I put the CD as IDE 1:0 (bus 1, master) it doesn't
find it. When I put it as 0:0 (bus 0, master), it hangs loading the IDE
driver.

I suspect it doesn't know about bus 1, so it doesn't hang but also
doesn't find it, and there's something wrong with either VMware's
implementation of IDE, or SCO's handling of it - or both. I've read
where lots of devices in VMware are just to "perfect" for some device
drivers to deal with. One glaring example was you couldn't use the LSI
SAS driver with Solaris 11. It would either hang or panic, I forget
which. Switch to LSI Parallel SCSI, and it was fine.

Anyway, I suspect that there's something in the IDE driver that's
ignoring bus1, and hanging with VMware's implementation of it.

I'm going to try installing ESXi 4.0 and see what happens.

On another note, it's possible I just need to install the hard drive as
IDE from the get-go, have the CDROM as slave on bus 0 and see what happens.

Any pointers?

thanks!
art k.