[TUHS] Historic Linux versions not on kernel.org

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Jan 1 14:32:35 AEST 2017

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 05:52:45PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a ImageMagic CD that I got back in 1994 that I found in my
> > garage. It has a bunch of versions of linux that aren't on kernel.org.
> > The 0.99 series, the 0.98 series and what looks like 1.0 alpha pl14
> > and pl15.
>
> Isn't everything in the source code controlsystem?
>
> I thought that everything has been integrated in BitKeeper with help from Larry
> McVoy. Or are you interested in parts that are not in the kernel?

I didn't help with all that, I was pretty butthurt at the time.  I've
gotten over that but I'm still butthurt that Git won.  It's a really
shitty answer.  I can give you guys a writeup I did recently but I don't
want to spam the list.

I'd be 100% OK with BitKeeper not winning if Git was at parity or better
than BitKeeper, but that's not the case.  It's trivial to do a BK to
Git exporter, it's really hard to do the other direction, Git records
far less information.

It's pretty much what I predicted back in the early 2000's.  If you don't
leave space for commercial companies to make money and pay people to try
and reach for the better answer, you're gonna get mediocre answers.  And
here we are.