[TUHS] MacOS X is Unix (tm)

Ron Natalie ron at ronnatalie.com
Sun Jan 1 23:01:25 AEST 2017

OS/X (Mac) is Mach-derived   I think you do it a disservice to call it
BSD-derived.    While the kernel-to-application interface was compatible
with 4.2 BSD, the kernel is largely of CMU's only creation.

The thing came layered with Doug Gwyn's (where is he? I invited him) BRL SV
on BSD user environment to silence the critics that it wasn't SVID
compatible.    I hadn't even realized it until I got a few Mach kerneled
machines (notably our NeXT cube) and found that it had my version of the
Bourne shell with job control and command line editing hacked in (to battle
the tcsh guys at BRL because I detested the csh syntax and Korn's shell
hadn't gotten out of the labs yet at that point).