[TUHS] MacOS X is Unix (tm)

David david at kdbarto.org
Mon Jan 2 05:33:45 AEST 2017

MacOS is the best of a bad lot, in my opinion. Unix at the core and as a result pretty well able to withstand attacks from the outside world. For a desktop OS, not too bad.

Linux is to diversified at this point to make it to the desktop any time soon. As a server OS it is a wonderful thing and I am willing to work with it there any time. Though the differences between Linux A and Linux B are sometimes grating on my ability to get the code I am paid to work on running in all environments.

Windows is just broken. Yes, it is getting better (for some definition of better) with each release. The ability to hack and attack usually has this common vector. It is usually chosen by some IT guy because the initial cost is low and it is what they got trained to use sometime in history.

As to Doug Gwyn and The BRL code, I ported all of that onto an early Celerity release. Celerity was 4.2 and I did the port to get the feature set that some customers were clamoring for. And Ron, you may have been the one to send me your patches for the Bourne shell way back when. I do remember doing that integration for Celerity as well.

	David