[TUHS] Unix stories

Nick Downing downing.nick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 16:25:16 AEST 2017

Yes, I agree, I want to do exactly that. And, I know my ideas are
probably also perceived as daft. But it's OK :)

Unfortunately a C interpreter does not really work in principle,
because of the fact you can jump into loops and other kinds of abuse.
So the correct execution model is a bytecode. This means the C
compiler is pretty much unchanged, so there are no real
simplifications there. Also, you can cast a pointer and access
individual bytes of a structure and that kind of abuse. So the data
model is pretty much unchanged from a real machine's too, and there
are no real simplifications there either. But in my opinion that's not
the end of the story.

What I would like to do is to implement pointer safety, I know this is
a pretty big ask and will break compatibility with a big number of C
applications out there. But it might be surprising how many actually
do use pointers in a safe way. So my idea was something like this:

Suppose there is "struct foo { char *p; int *q; long b; short a; };",
well the user wouldn't be allowed to access the individual bytes of
the pointers p and q. But they would be allowed to access the
individual bytes of a and b since this does not introduce anything
dangerous. Therefore the struct would be internally converted to
"struct  foo { char *p; int *q; char data[6] };" allowing 4 bytes for
the long and 2 for the short. Then, now suppose I call a function and
I pass it "&a". This would be internally converted to "data + 4". But
it would be passed as a triple (data, data + 4, data + 6) which gives
the bounds of the underlying array. Or suppose the virtual machine was
implemented in Java or Python or some such, it would be passed as a
pair (data, 4) where data is a 6-byte array and 4 is an integer index
into it.

I was then going to make the compiler recognize some idiomatic C
constructs like "struct foo *p = malloc(10 * sizeof(foo));" and
internally translate them to something like "struct foo *p = new
foo[10];". Hopefully there could eventually be discriminated unions so
that I could declare something like "union foo { char *p; int *q; long
b; short a; };" and this would be internally translated to "struct foo
{ int which; union { char *, int *, data[4] } };" and the field
"which" would be set to 0, 1 or 2 depending on whether a char *, an
int *, or plain old data had been stored there. That way, when you
access a given field of the union it can validate that the correct
thing was stored there earlier. Also, with a little bit of syntactic
sugar we could implement intptr_t as "union { void *p; int a; };" to
increase compatibility with C.

If we do it like this, then your P-system idea works quite well,
because the memory space doesn't exist anymore, it's an OO database.

cheers, Nick