[TUHS] MacOS X is Unix (tm)

arnold at skeeve.com arnold at skeeve.com
Mon Jan 2 20:06:39 AEST 2017

"Ron Natalie" <ron at ronnatalie.com> wrote:

> OS/X (Mac) is Mach-derived   I think you do it a disservice to call it
> BSD-derived.    While the kernel-to-application interface was compatible
> with 4.2 BSD, the kernel is largely of CMU's only creation.
>
> The thing came layered with Doug Gwyn's (where is he? I invited him) BRL SV
> on BSD user environment to silence the critics that it wasn't SVID
> compatible.    I hadn't even realized it until I got a few Mach kerneled
> machines (notably our NeXT cube) and found that it had my version of the
> Bourne shell with job control and command line editing hacked in (to battle
> the tcsh guys at BRL because I detested the csh syntax and Korn's shell
> hadn't gotten out of the labs yet at that point).

I remember Ron's job control stuff. I even backported it to the BSD v7
Bourne shell and posted it to one of the sources groups.

I don't remember a history mechanism by Ron, but I do remember one that I
did; it was very csh style.  I don't think tcsh was around then. This
is ~ 1984-1986 time frame.

Ron - can you give more detail about your history mechanism?

Thanks,

Arnold