[TUHS] MacOS X is Unix (tm)

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Jan 3 02:53:47 AEST 2017

Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 January 2017 at 06:31, Joerg Schilling <schily at schily.net> wrote:
> > David <david at kdbarto.org> wrote:

> > Note that passing the certification tests unfortunately does not grant
> > POSIX compliance :-(
>
> Interesting -- I had always thought that UNIX03 incorporated IEEE
> 1003.x (http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xym0.htm ).
>
> So what is missing and why?

The problem is that only by failing, you can approach a test suite that gives a
sufficient code coverage.

The current method is that every time a bug in the test suite or the POSIX test
is discovered, the text and/or the test suite is fixed. Platforms that passed
the test are however not withdrawn their state. They just need to fix their
problem in case they like to get a certification for the next version of the
standard, if they implemented things the wrong way.

BTW: The OpenGroup manages the POSIX text and after a new version has been
accepted, it is reviewed by the IEEE people. This usually causes aprox. 6
months of delay, but no real changes in the text.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin