[TUHS] Unix stories

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Tue Jan 3 21:36:31 AEST 2017

Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> There is also a culture of the cool kids vs the not cool kids.  For example,
> at Sun, the kernel group was the top of the heap.  When I was doing nselite
> which begat Teamware then BitKeeper then Git et al, I was in the kernel
> group.  They wanted me to go over to the tools group.  I looked over there
> and saw people that weren't as good as the kernel people and passed.

>From looking at various changes, it is obvious that the tools group also had
brilliant people, but it is also obvious that the tools in general do not have
that overall quality level as seen in the kernel.

>From looking at projects or features, it seems that the kernel people did add
new ideas whenever they had the idea. From looking at the progress made in the
tools, it seems that this mostly happened when a manager decided that it would
be time to put effort in a tool.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin