[TUHS] ZFS (was: Re: MacOS X is Unix (tm))

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Wed Jan 4 02:41:31 AEST 2017

Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se> wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2017 14:17 +0100, from schily at schily.net (Joerg Schilling):
> > BTW: ZFS has a similar problem as Linux: It is extremely slow when you ask it
> > to to things in a way that result in a known state. ZFS however does not result
> > in a rotten FS when you switch the system off while it is updating the FS.
>
> In all fairness to it, ZFS never (at least that I have seen) _claims_
> to be a high performance file system. Lots of people (myself included)
> point out that it is _anything but_. Its Merkle tree data structures

Well in practice ZFS is amazingly fast.

Wat I wanted to mention is that some methods to make things fast or to look
like they were fast may result in a slow system in case you ask it to produce a
known state at a given arbitrary time.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin