[TUHS] MacOS X is Unix (tm)

Joerg Schilling schily at schily.net
Wed Jan 4 04:04:35 AEST 2017

David <david at kdbarto.org> wrote:

> I???m running Yosemite, Sierra won???t run on my hardware.
>
> Does the standard expect an int to be a specific size? I can???t imagine this to be the case. On Mac ints are 32 bits, as are longs. Unlike Linux where long defaults to 64 bits.

POSIX requires "int" to be at least 32 bits and all UNIX implementations I am
aware of, use the LP64 model for the compiler. Here int is 32 and long is 64
bits.

Microsoft still does and "True64" did use the ILP64 model. This allows lazy
written software to work even though it does not the right data types for
pointer arithmetic.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                  (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin