[TUHS] When was #if introduced in C? (was: Re: Mac OS X is Unix)

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Jan 4 07:56:38 AEST 2017

The cpp.c code in 6th edition only supported #ifdef.   IIRC the v7 cpp had
#if, but it may have been in typesetter C.   I think mashey needed it for
SCCS (I don't have sources easy to look at PWB 1.0), so my guess is it was
developed during that transition.  The key is that  PWB 1.0 was a v6++
system.   UNIX/TS and later V7 had the newer kernel.   PWB 2.0 was based on
that one.    The typesetter compiler was developed in parallel to those
projects, which also put constraints on the language.

Clem