[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Wed Jan 4 12:41:27 AEST 2017

I was in building 5 at Sun when they were switching to SVr4 which became
Solaris 2.0 (I think).  Building 5 housed the kernel people at Sun.
John Pope was the poor bastard who got stuck with doing the bring up.
Everyone hated him for doing it, we all wanted it to fail.

I was busting my ass on something in SunOS 4.x and I was there late into
the night, frequently to around midnight or beyond.  So was John.

We became close friends.  We both moved to San Francisco and ended up
commuting to Mountain View together (and hit the bars together).

John was just at my place, here's a few pictures for those who might
be interested.  He's a great guy, got stuck with a shitty job.

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/2016-pope/

--lm