[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:23:28 AEST 2017

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 10:00 PM, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 7:41 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
> > I was in building 5 at Sun when they were switching to SVr4 which became
> > Solaris 2.0 (I think).
>
> Solaris 2.0 was the first SVr4 version of Solaris. 4.1.{1,2,3} were
> still BSD based, and Solaris 2.0 was SunOS 5.0 and OpenWindows.

My favorite version number was SunOS 4.1.4U1: I was told that the ``U1''
meant, "you won", as in "you won. Here's another BSD-based release."
Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.

I recently came across a CD ROM that was labeled Solaris 2.0 Preview
> and Solbourne's name written in Magic Marker on it. I have no clue how
> I came to have it, but it was mixed in my ancient CDROM disc
> collection...

Wow. Solbourne; that's a name I haven't heard in a while.

        - Dan C.