[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Jan 5 02:46:30 AEST 2017

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 05:31:09PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Larry, had Sun open sourced SunOS, as you fought so hard to make happen,
> > Linux might not have happened as it did. SunOS was really good. Chalk up
> > another win for ATT!
>
> Well, Sun opensourced Solaris and Solaris is based on the SunOS sources.
>
> Note that the Svr4 kernel was derived from the SunOS-4.0 kernel.

I was in the kernel group at Sun at the time.  The pictures I posted
are of the guy that did the bring up.

In no way was SVr4 even remotely derived from the SunOS 4.0 kernel.

The only relation the two had was that both were derived from the
original Unix sources but by this time they had diverged so much
there was very little in common.  Very little.

There was good reason for all the SunOS people being butt hurt,
Scooter threw out a lot of very hard work that he wasn't smart
enough to value.  I get the $200M part, he didn't get the value
part.