[TUHS] Unix stories

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Jan 5 02:51:20 AEST 2017

Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
 |On Wed, Jan 4, 2017, at 11:30, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |> It is clear in assembler
 |
 |The operation you described does not exist as a single-statement
 |construct in assembler for any architecture I'm familiar with.

Ok, but that quite clearly was not what i have meant.  I meant
that if you program in assembler, well, all those newer assembler
languages that i have seen, the target of an operation is the
target of a store, and say if it is a register that is also one of
the sources, it means nothing, from the language side.  ARM has
even predicates that perform operations on that value before the
store, even if the source is the same as the destination.  It
simply strives me absurd that i, in C, cannot simply say what
i want and let the C compiler with all its knowledge of the target
system decide what to do about it.

--steffen