[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Jan 5 03:06:35 AEST 2017

On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 05:57:33PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > too little, years  too late, with a license few (including me) really felt
> > comfortable with. Larry IIRC was pushing for a basic BSD license. I don't
> > know if any of us really understood the full implications of the GPL for
> > kernels back then -- both positive and negative.
>
> The Sun employees have been asked whether they would support the BSD license
> and many of then said that they will terminate their contract if Sun uses BSD.

Huh?  First of all, Sun employees don't have a contract, they are (or were)
at will employees.  So I think you mean they would quit if it were BSD
licensed.

Second, I've _never_ heard a single Sun person say they would quit if Sun
open sourced something under the BSD license.  I'm sure I've heard someone
say they didn't like that license but never heard anyone giving up their
job over it.