[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 04:46:01 AEST 2017

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Joerg Schilling <schily at schily.net> wrote:

> schily at schily.net (Joerg Schilling) wrote:
>
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Development_and_
> Distribution_License
> >
> > Check the video mentioned there as this just lists what Simon did say.
> >
> > BTW: Danese Cooper was (from what I know) not involved in the CDDL at
> all.
> >
> > I had a 2 hour telephone conference with Andrew Tucker, a Sun lawyer and
> > a lady from Sun (I do no longer remember her name but it was definitely
> not
> > Danese). The reason for the telephone confernce was to discuss the
> changes for
> > the final CDDL license text.
>
> I just discovered the name again: The lady that was in the teleconference
> has
> been Claire Giordano.

FYI, I watched the video you referred to (my daughter having woken up) and
Simon's comments seem to be in direct contradiction of your earlier
statement. The relevant comments start at around 35:30, and he says that
the Sun engineering community pretty clearly favored a BSD-style license.
He mentions that trying to use the GPL would have pushed out their timeline
by several years. The ``you do that and we quit'' comment (around the 38
minute park) was quite clearly in response to using GPL for OpenSolaris.

        - Dan C.