[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Thu Jan 5 07:20:40 AEST 2017

Nevin Liber <nevin at eviloverlord.com> writes:

[snip]

> The release was (or was supposed to be, and I remember it as) "SunOS 4.1.3
> u1" because we were told on no uncertain terms that there would be no
> release called "SunOS 4.1.4" but it was OK to send out an update release
> rolling up patches previously sent. I was *never* told why, which only made
> me (and my management chain) push harder. There were enough changes to
> warrant U1, U2, and U3 releases; I know U1 went out the door, and I know
> that U3 was ready for release when I departed, I don't recall whether U2
> made it out the door or not. I do not recall the method we used to triage
> the changes into three releases.

[snip]

A small addition..  there was a 4.1.4, a.k.a. Solaris 1.1.2 [I think]
that made it out the door [Google around for references].  I remember
having the cd and installing it.  I also remember 4.1.3_U1, but not U2
or U3, but I wouldn't be suprised that they existed.  I was at AT&T at
the time and the group I was in resisted going to Solaris 2.x for as
long as we could.  We were mostly interested in desktop and small server
stuff, so SMP need not apply and Solaris 2.x where x <= 4 was painful.
I remember the Sparc 5 Model 170 with SunOS 4.x which ran, for us, just
as well as the Ultra 1.  Fun times....

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]