[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jan 5 12:26:47 AEST 2017

Quoting Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>:

> On Wed, Jan 04, 2017 at 06:02:51PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
<snip>
> > I have access to both SunOS-4.x and Solaris sources and it is obvious
> that the
>
> I'm not sure how you have legal access to the SunOS 4.x code. I'd love
> copy of that source but so far as I know it's locked up.

<snip>

Seconded. I'd love to get my hands on it as well.

When I let my fascination with computers derail my BA(Classics) in 1991, I was told the OS choices
included Unix - BSD naturally - but only if I could pony up a king's ransom to pay for an unused AT&T
license. I wanted Sun because of the cool factor, but couldn't afford a workstation so I went with a PC,
and the cost of downloading Linux or 386BSD correlated to the cost of floppies, and Linux was
marginally cheaper, so Linux won. My copy of SLS is now on the Bochs images page.

I found a Sun 68000 pizza box at a computer recycling place in 2002, but the cool had evaporated by
then. But I'd still like to get my hands on the SunOS source. Who should we contact?

Wesley Parish

"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor,
Method for Guitar

"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." -- Samuel Goldwyn