[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Thu Jan 5 13:13:29 AEST 2017

On Thu, Jan 05, 2017 at 04:00:06PM +1300, Wesley Parish wrote:
> My understanding which was that of an interested layman in 1991 and just
> bitten by the bug, and based upon the comments of some of the computer
> science staff of the U of Canterbury, NZ, at that time, is that 386BSD
> held everybody's attention. (I mentioned in 1992 reading about Linux in
> a computer mag to one of them and he told me 386BSD was where the action
> was.) i80386 PCs were relatively cheap, BSD was (relatively) free from
> AT&T's legal claims, and 386BSD was even freer and targeted that cheap
> powerhorse. My guess is that if Sun had spun off a Free SunOS, it would've
> been ported to the 386.  What would've happened then is anyone's guess.

So I know the 386BSD guy, Bill Jolitz.  He worked for me at Sun, I hired
him because of, well some Usenix details that are best left untold.  He
was unfairly hurt by Usenix, that's as much as I'll say.

He's a good guy, a little weird, but so am I.  He did some great work
in 386BSD, it was ahead of Linux.  I remember going into Fry's and
sticking a 386BSD floppy in to see if it would boot.  It usually did.