[TUHS] lost ports

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jan 6 02:20:02 AEST 2017

​I also left out....

E.) GEM tools ran on VMS, Ultrix, Mica, OSF/1, Tru64, Mac OSx, NT/4 and
later Windows version up too and now Win10​

And I was just reminded that there was a 68K back-end done for it also that
terminal folks used, although I'm not sure I ever saw it.

Ron - for whatever its worth, the whole BLISS vs C is different history
both outside and inside of DEC [which some of lived and I'll not repeat it
here].   But it is sadly miss represented.   I'm a C programmer and while I
learned BLISS before C, I certainly prefer C to BLISS as do many of my
peers - even heavy, heavy BLISS hackers I know.

You should know that the compiler team was definitely BLISS based, as was
the VMS group, but once Streams I/O was added to VMS and the C compiler
introduced, most VMS customers left RMS I/O; while continuing to use
FORTRAN as the primary VMS end-user language, BLISS was less so, C and
Pascal quickly became more popular.   Even at DEC, C took off, particularly
in the HW teams if for no other reason than you could hire C programmers
from Universities and you had to teach them BLISS.

Clem