[TUHS] the guy who brought up SVr4 on Sun machines

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Jan 10 03:48:44 AEST 2017

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 02:40:08PM +0100, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > The VM system was ported from SunOS 4.x to System 5.  Your statements that
> > SVr4 is based on SunOS are flat out wrong.  SVr4 got a lot of SunOS goodness
> > but the starting point was ATT System V.
>
> This looks like a response made from gut.

Oh, brother.  Let it go.  I talked to the guy who did the bringup, did I
not post that?  It starts "SVr4 was not based on SunOS, although it incorporated
many of the best features of SunOS 4.x".

I'm dealing with trees down and landslides, I'll post the rest later, but
Joerg you are just wrong about this.