[TUHS] Unix stories, Stephen Bourne and IF-FI in C code

Steve Johnson scj at yaccman.com
Tue Jan 10 06:35:38 AEST 2017

I can certainly confirm that Steve Bourne not only knew Algol 68, he
was quite an evangelist for it.  When he came to the labs, he got a
number of people, including me, to plough through the Algol 68 report,
probably the worst written introduction to anything Ive ever read.
They were firmly convinced they were breaking new ground and
consequently invented new terms for all kinds of otherwise familiar
ideas.  It was as if the report had been written in Esperanto...
There were some very cool ideas, particularly the way the type system
worked.  After the simplicity of C, though, we mostly found the
syntax to be off-putting.  Also, as I recall, there really was no
portability strategy for the language, and I think that held it back,
since there were so many different architectures in play at that
time.  Languages like C and Pascal, that had implementations that
could be easily ported, quickly left non-portable languages like Algol
68 and Bliss in the dust...

(Lest I sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, Dennis' PDP-11 C was
based on an intermediate language somewhat like P-code, and was in
fact ported to a couple of different machines before PCC came along...
I learned from the master...)

Steve